Tuesday 22 February 2011

Sell A Minute Of Your Time - Part 1



Today I popped into Brixton Village market, in South London to sell a minute of my time for a pound. I had heard about this intriguing proposition over at the Londonist and decided to check it out.


The purchaser of my time was artist Brian Lobel, who has pitched up at the Brick Box cafe as part of his project Carpe Minuta Prima (seize the minute).


Each person gets to step into a darkened room with a camera and can do or say anything they like for a minute. At the end of the week Brian will collect all of the snippets together and produce an installation, from which people can buy their minute back (for a pound) or, interestingly, purchase the time of a complete stranger (burned onto DVD).


I was minute number 81 and Brian had been there since Monday, so by the end of the project on Saturday there should be lots of time collected.


Brian says that the project, "explores themes of economy, the value of our time and our work, the over-documenting of our lives and what it means to sign away your soul."


Brian Lobel: source the Londonist
I don't think my minute was particularly interesting, I am sure there were far more interesting uses of the time. I talked about my new passion for writing, an article I have just finished (about Brixton, co-incidentally) and finding my 'voice'. 


I think when I go back next week I'll purchase the time of a stranger and post the DVD up here for Part 2. It does sound a bit strange, I'll admit. That person may not want to feature on my blog - but to take part we each had to sign something saying we gave up any rights to that minute of time. We had sold it (you do actually receive a shiny £1 coin). So the purchaser of my time, if anyone buys it, will be able to do whatever they like with it. An interesting concept.


Brian is at Brick Box from 10am to 6pm until 26 February. Visit from 4 to 10 March to see the installation. Or find out more hereBrick Box, 41 Brixton Village, Coldhourbour Lane, SW9 8PR.

5 comments:

dirtycowgirl said...

Great idea, but I'm wondering how many people are going to go in that darkened room with the camera and do something no-ones gonna want to pay to see ?

Or perhaps that's just the way my mind works.

Mr Musing said...

Oh Dirtycowgirl, you do make me laugh. Well I guess someone will do something odd in there, it is Brixton after all! Maybe it will be the one I buy and feature here next week.

Steve Barrett said...

Interesting and somewhat risqué idea ! Nice post

Anonymous said...

I did it myself yesterday and loved it!!!! I assume that it may show a part of ourselves where we need to 'create' something in a minute (I am sure people have prepared things!). Mine was bleeping on about my cold and lead to a short story about a girl being in a big black box with a bear outside, i then psychoanalysed myself to say i felt like I am trapped with my bad cold as I have needed to stay home and rest with this bleeping cold. Comedy and Fun. I love that little Brick Box, it's my new fav place in Brixton. Booj, XXXX

Mr Musing said...

I didn't get to the event last week, due to work commitments, so unfortunately there won't be a Part 2, which is a shame as I wanted to see what some of the other people did with their minute.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...