Friday 24 June 2011

Day 4: My Day at Wimbledon 2011



 I managed to get over to Wimbledon yesterday (well as a South Londoner it would have been rude of me not to) and after queuing for about two and half hours my brother and I finally managed to get ground passes.


The weather was a real concern beforehand, not helped by the Met Office's predictions of heavy rain but in fact it turned out to be a really nice day, with only a few short showers to interrupt the day. In fact, I awoke this morning to some quite impressive sunburn on my face - the run was really hot when it appeared from behind the clouds. Oh well of to Spain tomorrow so will top it up with a bit of Spanish sun. 


When I went a few years ago to Wimbledon we managed to get resale tickets to Court 1 quite easily so I was hopeful we might be able to get some again, particuarly as Laura Robson was due to play the last match. That idea quickly went out of the window once I saw the queue's though, which were stretching for about a mile and the thought of queuing again was just too much. 


Almagro v Isner


We did get to see some good matches though taking in the very tall John Isner V 16th seed Nicolas Almagro and Dmitry Tursunov against 11th seed Jurgen Melzer which was a good match until the fading light stopped play.


Melzer
Tursunov
              
We also some of the all-Czech match between Lucie Safarova, the 31st seed who was beaten by Klara Zakopalova, who beat Brit qualifier Emily Webley-Smith in the first round. 


Henman Hill
The nice weather meant that we also spent some time sitting up on Henman Hill and took in Serena Williams match against Simona Halep, which Serena won after losing the first set. Stupidly we left the hill after Lleyton Hewitt was two sets to love up and 3-3 in the 3rd to try and get on one of the courts. Little did we know that Robin Soderling was about to come back and win the next three sets to take the match!


Troicki
Lu

I managed to get quite a good picture of a forlorn looking Viktor Troicki after being beaten by Yen-Hsun Lu (also pictured) who was mobbed by a throng of Chinese fans outside the court as he left.


Unfortunately even though she walked right by me and I had a clear view I didn't manage to get my iPhone out, unlock it open the camera and get a photo of the beautiful Ana Ivanovic. I wouldn't make a very good paparazzi!


I also managed to get filmed for a quick vox pop..... how camp do I sound?! Lol.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...