Monday 3 October 2011

Breaking News: Amanda Knox and Rafaele Sollecito Acquitted at Re-Trial

Meredith Kercher - RIP
20:20 I am sitting at home watching BBC News, waiting for the announcement of whether Amanda Knox and Rafaele Sollecito will be found innocent or guilty of murdering of the beautiful Briton Meredith Kercher at the re-trial that has taken place over the last few months. 


I am interested in the result, as are many people around the world, but as I type this I can't help but wonder what is going through the minds of Meredith's family who have flown over to Italy to hear the verdict.


Amanda Knox




20:25 The re-trial must be such a painful experience for the Kercher's - re-opening all of the wounds and emotions that they have already been through as part of their grieving and during the first trial. I can't imagine what they are going through right now.


20:30 I'm still not actually sure what I believe to be the facts, whether the stories of a sex game gone wrong were true, if it was something more sinister or if they were innocent. I don't even think I have a gut feeling. 


Rafaele Sollecito
Whatever the outcome, I hope the media are respectful to the family of Meredith - who surely only want justice for the horrific crimes committed against her.


20:35 Knox and Sollecito have now been in prison for almost 4 years and this appears to be their last bid for freedom. The case has been brought for a re-trial due to the defence challenging the forensic evidence.


I think it is very strange to have the media allowed in the courtroom - this is not something that is allowed in the UK. I am not sure I feel it is appropriate - ironic maybe as I sit her watching it and typing away. 


 20:40 It looks like the announcement will be made shortly now. 'Foxy Knoxy' is trending on Twitter! One of the things that has been very interesting about the public response is that Amanda Knox has had so much more publicity than Rafaele Sollecito. In fact I didn't realise at first that the re-trial was for both of their cases. Is this because she is an attractive young woman?


20:48 The judge and the jury are entering the court-room. It all sounds very complicated!


20:50 BREAKING NEWS - Amanda Knox and Rafaele Sollecito are freed - they have been acquitted of the murder of Meredith Kercher. The Knox family are being quite muted - hopefully out of respect. 


My thoughts are with the Kercher family - they look quiet and dignified. I can't imagine what they are feeling now but my thoughts go out to them. 


RIP Meredith Kercher!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...